Lui Chun Kwong was born in Guangdong, China in 1956, settling in Hong Kong since 1962. He studied at the Department of Fine Arts of the National Taiwan Normal University in 1980 and returned to Hong Kong after graduation. He obtained a Master of Arts degree from the Goldsmiths’ College of the University of London in 1994.
Lui founded the Hong Kong Modern Art Society of Watercolour with his fellow artists in 1988, and chaired the Society for the first three years. He also served as Chairman of the Hong Kong Visual Art Society from 1988 to 2002. Lui joined the Department of Fine Arts of the Chinese University of Hong Kong from1985 to 2010, teaching studio courses on Western media. He also supervised M.F.A. Students.
Lui Chun Kwong established his Yiliu Painting Factory in 2001 and jointly held its first open studio event with his students in Oct, which became a prelude to the Fotanian Open Studios series.
My work is neither a conceptual exploration nor emotional expressions. For me, both are only fragments of creativity. In a certain respect, my work is dealing with standing, drinking, walking and ploughing. It merely a basic attitude or behaviour.
Standing: awareness of position; from things I see, ideas could be formed. Drinking: awareness of materials; by media I use, sensibilities could be motivated.
Walking: awareness of direction; through circumstances, I follow, problems could be overcome.
Ploughing: unconsciousness of space; no up and down, no left and right, no low and high, it is but a working practice!
Standing like a stork, drinking like a cat, walking like a camel, ploughing like a cow, these postures are what I am very much interested in. They have repeated over and over again but the result is no different. Standing on a point, drinking from a square, walking along a line, ploughing in a field; Standing from a point, leading to a square, approaching along a line, forming a field. My work is something like these.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- Lui Chun Kwong Recent Works, 2015, Aike-Dellarco, Shanghai, China
- Piao Piao Ran – Recent Works by Lui Chun Kwong, 2012, Osage Gallery, Hong Kong
- Lui Chun Kwong: I Am Not Myself, 2004, Yiliu Painting Factory, Fotan, Hong Kong
- Lui Chun Kwong Yi Liu Shan Shui, 2001, Hong Kong Arts Centre, Hong Kong
- Flea Market: An Exhibition of Paintings and Crafts by Lui Chun Kwong, 2000, Para/Site Art Space, Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Artists Series: Lui Chun Kwong, 1998, Arts Centre, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
Selected Group Exhibitions
- The is the way of living: Lui Chun Kwong + Chen Shun-chu, 2014, a.m.space, Hong Kong
- Painting On and On 5. Taciturn, 2014, Painting On and On and HKICC Lee Shau Kee School of Creativity, Hong Kong
- OPEN “Flags” 15. International Exhibition of Sculptures and Installations, 2012, Venice Lido, San Servolo Island, Italy
- Yu Di: Lui Chun Kwong & Lee Kit, 2012, Aike-Dellarco, Shanghai, China
- Hong Kong Eye, 2012, Saatchi Gallery, London, UK
- Lui Chun Kwong: You Are Here, I am Not., 2010, Osage Kwun Tong, Hong Kong
- Legacy and Creations: Ink Art vs Ink Art, 2010, Shanghai Art Museum, China
- Beyond the Image: Liang Quan, Lui Chun Kwong, Yan Shanchun, 2009, Osage Kwun Tong, Hong Kong
- Encounter: Dublin, Lisbon, Hong Kong & Seoul, 2009, The Korea Foundation Cultural Center, Korea
- New Ink Art, 2008, Hong Kong Museum of Art, Hong Kong
- Unpcak, 2008, Nanshan Museum, China Academy of Art, China
- Reversing Horizons, 2007, MoCA Shanghai, China
Selected Public Collections
- National Museum of History, Taiwan
- Department of Fine Arts, National Taiwan Normal University, Taiwan
- Hong Kong Museum of Art
- Hong KongHeritage Museum
- Hong Kong Arts Centre
- The Art Gallery, the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- GuangdongMuseum of Art, China
- Museum +, Hong Kong
- Long Museum of Art, China
For the full list of exhibitions, please contact the gallery at email@example.com