April Ng, born in 1963, received her Diploma in Fine Art from Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts in 1989 and graduated with a Master in Fine Arts (Printmaking) from The Slade School of Fine Art (UCL), UK, in 1993. She was a part-time lecturer at Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, LASALLE College of the Arts and is currently teaching at National Institute of Education.
April approaches her artistic practice with the same life philosophy – to live and to achieve simplicity. With over twenty-five years’ experience in print-making, April is a master of print-making techniques, constantly exploring new directions and applications. Inspired by nature and its organic forms, April seeks to capture and distil the qualities of flora and fauna.
The rich and laborious process of print-making is evident in April’s work, through this particular series that plays on the idea of a simplified ‘still-life’ picture. The works are carefully composed arrangements of lines, dots, forms with blocks of colour, resulting in a beautiful visual simplicity. The background is sparse, white and unadorned, yet it exudes a space for depth and imagination. Paper is a unique medium, that expresses itself in a myriad of ways when it is pressed, embossed, layered upon, leaving behind visible traces and marks from the artist’s hand.
April is the recipient of the Honourable Mention Award, Philip Morris Group of Companies Singapore Art Award (2001) and her works are in many private and corporate collections both local and internationally. Her commissioned works includes the Royal Singapore Arm Forces and the Land Transport Authority Singapore for the North East Line Mass Rapid Transit Art in Transit series (Woodleigh Station). Her works have been exhibited in numerous shows locally and internationally, including Portugal, Taiwan and United Kingdom. Her prints were recently exhibited at the WooJaeGil Art Museum in Gwangju from 15 – 30 September 2015.
- 1993 | Higher Diploma in Printmaking, The Slade School of Fine Arts, University College London, London, UK
- 1989 | Diploma in Fine Arts (Painting Studio), Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 2016 | Release of No Trace, Merlin Gallery, Singapore
- 2012 | dot line plane, Art 2 Gallery, Singapore
- 1998 | TWO, Substation, Singapore
- 1994 | Stiftelsen 3.14, Bergen, Norway
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- 2017 | Touch《觸》- Duo Show, Art Projects Gallery, Hong Kong
- 2016 | Asian Graphic Art Competition and Exhibition 2016, Vietnam
- 2015 | Portable Art Week, iPreciation, Singapore
- 2015 | WooJaeGil Art Museum, Gwangju, South Korea
- 2015 | 9th international contemporary printmaking Biennale, Trois-Rivières, Canada
- 2015 | These Sacred Things, Jendela Visual Arts Space, Esplanade, Singapore
- 2014 | Practice and Perfection exhibition, Nanyang Academy of Fine Art, Singapore
- 2014 | Nothing in Common, ION art gallery, Singapore
- 2013 | What the Matter, Jendela Visual Arts Space, Esplanade, Singapore
- 2012 | 1st Macau Printmaking Triennial, Old Court Building, Avenida da Praia Grande, Macau
- 2016 | Third Prize – 2nd Asean Graphic Art Competition and Exhibition 2016, Vietnam
- 2016 | The 5th International Symposium of Woodcarving, Brienz, Switzerland
- 2001 | Honorable Mentions Award, Philip Morris Group of Companies Singapore Art Award 2001/2002, Singapore
- 1997 | Honorable Mention Award, Philip Morris Group of Companies Singapore Art Award, Singapore
- 1996 | Distinction Award in The 15th Painting of The Year Exhibition, UOB, Singapore
- 1994 | Distinction Award in the Painting Category, Philippe Charriol Foundation Contemporary Art Competition, Singapore
- 1994 | Merit Award in Singapore Urban-art Competition, Singapore
- 1994 | Winner’s Award in Tokyo Urban-art Competition, Japan
- 1993 | Distinction Award in The Painting Category, Philippe Charriol Foundation Contemporary Art Competition, Singapore
For full list of exhibitions and awards, please contact the gallery at email@example.com
Images of artworks