Born in a small village in Guangdong, China in 1970, Wang Shaoqiang is the fifth child in the family. Prior to entering university, Wang had taken several art classes and he continued to learn drawing and plastic arts throughout his schooldays. In 1991, Wang enrolled in the fine arts programme at the University of Shanghai for Science and Technology. He went on to join Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts, eventually obtaining a Master degree in Fine Arts in 2002.
Upon graduation in 1995, Wang commenced his teaching career at Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts. The former Deputy Dean and Dean of School of Visual Arts of Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts was awarded the Teaching Excellence Award by Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts in 2013. He is now a Member of the Academic Committee of Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts.
While he is known for his involvement in arts education and curation, Wang remains committed to his quest to reinterpret contemporary Chinese ink paintings. His distinctive style comes with a delightful blend of traditional Chinese ink paintings and cartography. Derived from ancient Chinese astronomical and astrological theories, as well as modern science and technology, grids overlaying seemingly traditional landscape imageries are essentially a hallmark of Wang’s art practice. His oeuvre coaxes viewers to search for possible geographical positions and coordinates which further prompt them to reconstruct a new contextual space.
Presently the Director of Guangdong Museum of Art, Wang has successfully curated and/or participated in numerous major exhibitions including the Simultaneous Eidos – Guangzhou Image Triennial 2017, the 6th Guangzhou Triennial and Document Exhibition and Great Tides Surge Along the Pearl River – 40 Years of Reform and Opening-up in Guangdong since his appointment in 2015.
The Director of China Artists Association is also an active player in the art scene of China, being a member of the China Artists Association Curation Committee, National Art Museum Professional Committee, an academic committee member and Vice Chairman of Guangdong Artists Association, Director of Guangdong Curatorial Committee and Executive Vice President of Art Museum Association. In 2017, Wang was named a leading figure in Cultural Promotion and Communication in Guangdong.
Wang has held many solo and group exhibitions across China, Hong Kong, and parts of Europe. His works are permanently collected in National Art Museum of China, Beijing (China), Shandong Art Museum, Jinan (China), and Guangdong Museum of Art, Guangzhou (China). He now lives and works in Guangzhou.
- 2002 | Master of Fine Arts, Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts, Guangdong, China
- 1994 | Bachelor of Fine Arts, the University of Shanghai for Science and Technology, Shanghai, China
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 2019 | Last Mountain: Solo Exhibition of Wang Shaoqiang, Art Canton Thematic Exhibition, Guangzhou Liuhua Exhibition & Trade Center, Guangzhou, China
- 2019 | Last Mountain, Heart Chart: Solo Exhibition of Wang Shaoqiang, Lin Quan Shan Fang of Hushang Magazine, Hangzhou, China
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2021 | Flower, Not, iPreciation, Singapore
- 2019 | Imagine de Lingnan: 8 Artists’ Contemporary Ink Art, Chinese Culture Centre, Paris, France
- 2019 | Chinese Xieyi: Selected Works from the National Art Museum of China, National Art Gallery, Lithuania
- 2019 | Fine Art Asia· Ink Asia, Da Xiang Art Space, Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Center, Hong Kong
- 2019 | New Start: The 3rd Shenzhen Biennale of Contemporary Art, Sea World Culture and Arts Centre, Shenzhen, China /
- 2019 | Shenzhen · Lorient Art Exhibition, Museum of Shenzhen Fine Art Institute, Shenzhen, China
- 2018 | Post-Brushwork Era: Chinese Landscapes, Guangdong Museum of Art, Guangzhou; Zhejiang Art Museum, Hangzhou, China
- 2018 | Times New Image: Contemporary Chinese Painting Exhibition, Shaanxi Province Art Museum, Xi’an, China
- 2018 | Ink Reasons: Contemporary Art Exhibition, Chun Art Museum, Shanghai, China /
- 2018 | Image – Script: Selected Works from Video Collection of Guangdong Art Museum, Stanford Art Gallery, USA
- 2018 | The Geography of Ink & The Ink of Geography: An Exhibition of 14 Artists’ New Ink Exploration, 21 Space Art Museum, Dongguan, China
- 2018 | Minjiang: Imagination about Water, SeeWell International Art Center, Fuzhou, China
- 2018 | Times Elegance – Ink Art Tianhe: Selected Ink works of Guangdong Masters, Tianhe Culture & Art Center, Guangzhou, China /
- 2018 | Footprints: Works of Alumni of Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts (Eastern Guangdong), 1st Stop: Lufeng Jiazi Culture Art Centre, Lingnan Museum of Art, Shanwei, China; 2nd Stop: Art Museum of Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts, Guangzhou, China
- 2018 | Great Tides Surge Along the Pearl River – 40 Years of Reform and Opening-up in Guangdong, National Art Museum of China, Beijing; Guangdong, China
- 2018 | Framework: Contemporary Painting Invitation Exhibition, The 6th Guangzhou Triennial, Art Museum of South China Agriculture University, Guangzhou, China
- 2017 | Post-Lingnan School and Pearl River Delta, Guangdong Museum of Art, Guangzhou, China
- 2017 | Intermedio: Exhibition of New Chinese Ink, Galería Germán Gedovius, San Luis Potosí, Mexico
- 2017 | The 9th Vladivostok International Biennale of Visual Arts, Primorsky State Art Gallery, Russia
- 2017 | Annual Review of China Contemporary Ink Painting 2016-2017, Art Museum of Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts, Guangzhou, China
- 2017 | Inherit the Past and Usher in the Future – Exhibition of 20th Anniversary of the Founding of the Guangdong Museum of Art, Guangdong Museum of Art, Guangzhou
- 2016 | The Beauty of Chinese Characters: Global Youth Design Contest – Designer Invitational Exhibition, 77 Creative Park, Beijing, China
- 2015 | Heart and Vision: An Experiment of Visual Art and Design, China Culture Center, Berlin, Germany
- 2014 | Scatter: Multiple Visual Art and Design Experiment, University of South Australia, Australia
- 2014 | Emptiness/Goodwill, Shenzhen Art Museum, Shenzhen, China
- 2014 | China Spirit 2014 Invitation Exhibition (Xi’an), Jia Pingwa Culture and Art Museum, Xi’an, China
- 2014 | 2014 AGDIE Asian Graphic Design Invitation Exhibition, Daejeon Museum of Art, Daejeon, Korea
- 2013 | US & China Typographic Poster Exchange 2013, Fifth Art Gallery of Richmond, Virginia, USA
- 2012 | Hong Kong Design Legacy and Beyond: The 70 Fruitful Years of Kan Tai-Keung, Exhibition Gallery of Hong Kong Central Library, Hong Kong
For full list of exhibitions and collections, please contact the gallery at email@example.com.
- 2019 | Person of the Year, Golden Star Award for Chinese Artists 2019, National Art Magazine, China
- 2017 | Leading Figure, Cultural Promotion and Communication in Guangdong
- National Art Museum of China, Beijing, China
- Shandong Art Museum, Jinan, China
- Guangdong Museum of Art, Guangzhou, China
- Guan Shanyue Art Museum, Shenzhen, China