Koo Mei began to study painting under Chao Shao-an in 1963, Hu Nien-tsu in 1969 and continued with the master of contemporary Chinese ink painting, Lui Shou-kwan in 1974. She has since established her own unique style, painting mostly landscapes shrouded in clouds and mist. Her landscapes are conceptual, realised through interweaving lines that inspire impressions of minuscule cracks on ancient stone tablets, and through layers of ink wash, achieve an ethereal atmosphere of otherworldly beauty.
She has exhibited twenty-eight times as a solo artist since 1971 in places as varied as Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, the United States and Canada. She was awarded the Urban Council Artist Award by Hong Kong Museum of Art in 1977
She has taught Chinese ink painting courses at the Department of Extramural Studies at The Chinese University, Hong Kong, and also at Chinese ink painting workshops in both the State University of Utah and Utah University, Salt Lake City.
Since 1986, her paintings have been seen and auctioned at both Sotheby’s and Christie’s.
Her works have been collected by many important private collectors and organizations such as the State University of Utah, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Museum of Art, Hong Kong Stadium, the Canadian Consulate General, Bank of America, Citibank, Bank of Australia, Hutchison Global Crossing Limited and Shaw Brothers (Hong Kong) Limited in Hong Kong respectively.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 2009, The Cloud and Mist Weaver, University Museum and Art Gallery, The University of Hong Kong
- 2001, The Lark and Her Misty Cloud, iPreciation, Singapore.
- 1998, Splendour in the Sky, Museum Annexe, Hong Kong
- 1995, Poetic Interlude, Artpreciation, Hong Kong.
- 1994, The Pristine Harmony Art Center, Taipei.
- 1993, Artpreciation, Hong Kong.
- 1984, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
- 1981, Lung Man Art Gallery, Taipei.
- 1981, National Art Gallery, Singapore
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2009, Art Show 09, CCM Center, Vancouver.
- 2003, Ink Paintings & Calligraphy, National Dr. Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, Taipei.
- 2001, iPreciation, Singapore
- 2000, Modern Classical, Valentine Willie Fine Art, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 1997, Reunion and Vision, Contemporary Hong Kong art 1997, Hong Kong Museum of Art, Hong Kong
- 1997, Masterpieces of 20th Century Chinese Painting, The Canadian Foundation for the Preservation of Chinese Cultural and Historical Treasures, Canada
- 1992, Contemporary Art of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Museum of Art, Hong Kong
- 1992, Where the Stream Becomes a River, Vancouver Art Gallery, Canada.
- 1990, University of British Columbia Asian Art Exhibition, Asian Art Auditorium, Vancouver.
- 1990, Metamorphosis-Contemporary Chinese Paintings, Luen Chai, Hong Kong Arts Centre, Hong Kong
- 1987, Ten Years of Hong Kong Painting; an exhibition to mark the 10th Anniversary of the Hong Kong Arts Centre, Hong Kong Arts Centre, Hong Kong
- 1986, Art Ensemble 86, Chinese Cultural Center, Vancouver
- 1986, Exhibition of International Art of Suiboku, Tokyo.
- 1980, Exhibition of International Ink Painters Association, National Museum of History, Taipei.
- 1980, Contemporary Hong Kong Artists Invitational, University of Cincinnati
For the full list of exhibitions, please contact the gallery at firstname.lastname@example.org