Jeremy Sharma works primarily as a painter but his body of work encompasses video, photography, drawing and installation. He is also a musician, having performed, collaborated and recorded for albums, gigs, theatre and radio. He obtained his Master of Art (Fine Art) at the LASALLE-SIA College of the Arts / Open University, United Kingdom in 2006, and his Bachelor of Art (Fine Art) with High Distinction from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), Australia in 2003. Over the past nine years, he has had a number of solo exhibitions in Singapore, that includes Apropos (2012) at the Institute of Contemporary Arts Singapore, Variations (2011) at Art Forum Gallery, The Protection Paintings – Of Sensations and Superscriptions (2008) at Jendela, Esplanade and End of A Decade (2007) at The Substation Gallery. He has participated in numerous group exhibitions in Singapore, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Italy, England and the United States.
Sharma has had overseas residency programmes, and received several awards, including Royal Overseas Travel Scholarship Award (2007) JCCI Arts award with art collective KYTV (2005), Studio 106 residency award (2004 Singapore), Finalist in the Philip Morris Singapore Arts Awards (2003), The Lee Foundation Study Grant (2002) and the Della Butcher Award (1999). His work has been the subject of critical discussion in catalogues of exhibitions in which he has participated and has been widely reviewed by the local press. His work is part of a number of public and private collections, notably the Singapore Art Museum, National Library Board Singapore, Ngee Ann Kongsi Singapore and Societe Generale. He currently teaches in the Faculty of Fine Arts at LASALLE College of the Arts.
Jeremy Sharma’s current mode of practice investigates the notion of art as a reflection of a conscious life that observes it in the age of mechanical, industrial and digital reproduction and interconnectivity, addressing our relationship to modernism and our place in time and space in an increasingly fragmented and artificial reality.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- FACTUM, 2014, Primae Noctis Gallery, Lugano, Switzerland
- MODE Change, 2014, Michael Janssen Gallery, Singapore
- Exposition, 2013, Grey Projects, Singapore
- Apropos, 2012, Institute of Contemporary Arts, Singapore
- Variations, 2011, Art Forum Gallery, Singapore
- The Protection Paintings – of Sensations and Superscriptions, 2008, The Jendela Gallery, Singapore
- Jeremy Sharma Solo Exhibition, 2007, Art Forum Gallery, Singapore
- End of a Decade, 2007, Substation Gallery, Singapore
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Market Forces – Erasure: From Conceptualisation to Abstraction, 2014, Osage Gallery and City University, Hong Kong
- Departure – A Group Exhibition, 2014, iPreciation, Singapore
- Environmental Visions, 2014, NTU Art, Design and Media Gallery, Singapore
- Singapore Biennale: If the World Changed, 2014, Singapore
- New Black City, 2013, Art Stage Singapore Platform, Singapore
- Lyrical Abstraction, 2012, Singapore Art Museum
- Panorama: Recent Art from Southeast Asia, 2012, Singapore Art Museum
- Still Building: Contemporary Art from Singapore, 2012, Selasar Sunaryo Art Space, Bandung, Indonesia
- The Same Rain, The Same Wind, 2012, Chiang Mai University Art Centre, Thailand
For full CV and biography details, please contact the gallery at firstname.lastname@example.org
Images of artworks