Lim Jia Qi (b. 1997, Singapore) graduated with a degree in fine arts from LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore in 2019. During her time in LASALLE, she was awarded the Ngee Ann Kongsi Scholarship (AY 2017/ 2018) and the LASALLE Award for Academic Excellence in 2017. At the same time, she assisted in conducting numerous printmaking workshops during her internship at Singapore Tyler Print Institute (STPI).
Lim had participated in various group exhibitions since 2016. She had also exhibited in “Concrete Encounters” at the Young Talent Programme 18/19 Winner’s Solo Exhibition in 2019, and at the Affordable Art Fair under the ‘Young Talent Programme’ in 2018.
Unimaginative spaces in our urban environment, most commonly associated with the Singapore “lifestyle” are a key interest in Limʼs work. Similar to how people that grew up in the countryside recognise trees and forests as signs of familiarity, the banal architecture that surrounds Singaporeʼs housing estates and its cold concrete element has become an oddly familiar material that she finds herself drawn to.
Through passive observation of everyday life, Lim endeavours to capture the poetics of these spaces and structures, reconstructing them in terms of narrative and/or the absence of such. The breaking down of forms, shifting in perspectives and hinting of narratives in the works are presented in a bid to challenge viewersʼ emotional attachment and familiarity with these spaces.
Coming from a printmaking background, Lim Jia Qi is interested in the advancement and explorative nature of this traditional medium; adopting techniques with other material adaptions such as carving on concrete slabs. With the architecture of housing flats her main subject matter, concrete material is also explored extensively through casting.
- 2019 | BA (Hons) in Fine Arts, LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore
- 2017 | Diploma in Fine Arts, LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore
- 2022 | Urban: Backyard, iPreciation, Singapore
- 2019 | Concrete Encounters, Young Talent Programme Winners’ Solo, Ion Art Gallery, Singapore
- 2020 | Living in Still, iPreciation, Singapore
- 2019 | Asymptote, Institute of Contemporary Arts, Singapore
- 2019 | Jen- Why Art, Hotel Jen Manila, Philippines
- 2018 | Young Talent Programme, Affordable Art Fair, Singapore
- 2018 | You Don’t Need 100 Editions, Institute of Contemporary Arts, Singapore
- 2018 | LOADING.. PLEASE WAIT, Alliance Française, Singapore
- 2017 | THE LASALLE SHOW 2017, Institute of Contemporary Arts, Singapore
- 2017 | Buku Mini 2, Ace House Collective, Jogjakarta, Indonesia
- 2017 | In Hindsight, Brother Joseph McNally Gallery, Singapore
- 2016 | Conversation between the echoes, Brother Joseph McNally Gallery, Singapore
- 2019 | Presentation & Participation Grant, National Arts Council, 2019
- 2018 | Young Talent Programme 18/19 Solo Exhibition prize
- 2017 | Ngee Ann Kongsi Scholarship, BA (Hons) in Fine Arts AY2017/2018
- 2017 | LASALLE Award for Academic Excellence 2017
- 2016 | LASALLE Scholarship, Diploma in Fine Arts AY 2016/2017
- 2015 | 30 Art Friends II Scholarship, Diploma in Fine Arts AY 2015/2016
For the full list of exhibitions and awards, please contact the gallery at firstname.lastname@example.org