Gao Xingjian is a novelist, playwright, painter photographer as well as film and theatre director; sustaining a successful career both in academic and artistic disciplines. Born in Jiangxi province, Gao studied French at the Beijing Foreign Studies University and was the first Chinese individual to receive a Nobel Prize in Literature in 2000.
Gao’s paintings are works of art that bear an original and unique artistic vision that is equal to his outstanding literary oeuvre. “Painting begins where language fails” is one of Gao’s famous quotes which succinctly characterizes his art and his philosophy in life. Gao’s creation of space and depth are not direct observations but spatial dimensions felt by his inner self. His proficiency in using Chinese brushstrokes and applying ink to create works on paper and canvas, has created and inspired new directions in Chinese ink painting. He often portrays his inner mindscape, leading the audience to a world invisible to the human eye. A silhouette is often portrayed to mirror an onlooker who seeks deeper meaning in life. Even though Gao has lived in France for thirty years, much of his philosophy still strongly relates to his Chinese aesthetics and Buddhism; his works reflect this unique identity. Gao has held more than thirty exhibitions around the world. In 2015, a retrospective exhibition was held at the Musee D’Ixelles, Brussels and the Royal Museums of Fine Arts Brussels acquired a work for their permanent collection. Gao currently lives and works in France.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 2019 | Art Paris 2019, Galerie Claude Bernard, Paris, France
- 2017 | Gao Xingjian The Awakening of Consciousness, Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium, Brussels, Belgium
- 2016 | Gao Xingjian – Layers of Light, Ink in Mind, Alisan Fine Arts, Hong Kong / Gao Xingjian Solo Exhibition, Galerie Simoncini, Luxembourg / Calling for A New Renaissance, Asia Art Centre, Taipei, Taiwan
- 2015 | Gao Xingjian: Retrospective, Museum of Ixelles, Brussels, Belgium / The Awakening of Consciousness, The Royal Museums of Fine Arts, Brussels, Belgium / L’intérêt d’un instant, J.Bastien Art, Brussels, Belgium / Wandering And Metaphysical Thoughts, Aktis Gallery, London, United Kingdom / Gao Xingjian: Llamada A Un Renacimiento, Sala kubo-kutxa, San Sebastián, Spain
- 2013 | Asia Art Center, Taipei, Taiwan / The Art Gallery, University of Maryland, US / iPRECIATION, Singapore
- 2012 | An Exhibition of Ink on Canvas Paintings by Gao Xingjian, iPRECIATION, Hong Kong / Galerie Simoncini, Luxembourg
- 2011 | iPRECIATION, Singapore / Galerie Claude Bernard, Paris, France / Galería Senda, Barcelona, Spain / J. Bastien Art Gallery, Brussels, Belgium
- 2010 | iPRECIATION, Singapore / Asian Art Center, Taipei, Taiwan / CasalSolleric, Palma, Spain / CasalSolleric / J. Bastien Art Gallery, Brussels, Belgium / J.Bastien Art
For full CV and biography details, please contact the gallery at firstname.lastname@example.org
Images of artworks