Born in 1961, Baet Yeok Kuan graduated with a Diploma in Fine Art (Painting) from the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts in 1987 and received his MA in Fine Art from the University of Central England, Birmingham in 1992. In 1995, Baet was conferred the Young Artist Award by the National Arts Council Singapore.
He represented Singapore in several international symposiums including the New Generation Contemporary Singapore Art Exhibition and Symposium, Japan (1990) and Second ASEAN Artist Creative Interaction, Indonesia (1997), Singapore-India Artists Exchange Programme, India (1999) and Artist-in-Residence in University of Philippines (2003).
Baet has won several awards such as the Grand Prize of the UOB Painting of the Year Competition (1987), Second Prize in the Contemporary Art Competition (Sculpture), Area Prize and Judge Prize in the Third Tokyo Urbanart Competition (1994). He was President of the Modern Art Society Singapore from 2003 to 2004.
Baet has completed many local public art projects to date including Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 3, the National Museum and the National Library Board to name a few. He recently completed a site-specific installation “24 Hours in Singapore” on the Asian Civilisations Museum lawn, in commemoration of SG50, an inaugural commission by the Public Art Trust.
To date, Beat’s works have been collected by museums and notable private collections, some notable ones include Fukuoka Art Museum in Japan, National Museum of Singapore, National Arts Council, National Art Museum, NUS Museum, St. Regis Hotel and Mapletree business city.
- 1992 | M.A. Fine Art (Sculpture) University of Central England in Birmingham, UK
- 1988 | Diploma in Fine Arts (Painting) Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 2002 | “Dilation ” Sculpture Square, Singapore
- 1998 | INFLAMED, Sculpture and Drawing, Art Forum Gallery, Singapore
- 1994 | Sculptures and Installations, Commonwealth Institute Today Gallery, London, UK
- 1993 | ‘Untitled 91-92, Sculptures and Installations’, National Museum Art Gallery, Singapore
- 1988 | One Man Show, National Museum Art Gallery, Singapore
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2017 | Juxtaposition – An Exhibition by Baet Yeok Kuan & Chng Nai Wee, iPreciation Gallery, Singapore
- 2013 | Made in Singapore -Three Quarters of a Century, Nafa Gallery, Singapore
- 2011 | Site-specific work – Sculpture in the Park, SSS Sculpture Pavilion, Singapore
- 2009 | The Call of Tradition Singapore Art Show 2009 National Art Council – NAC, FASS, Singapore
2006 | 21st Asia International Art Exhibition, Singapore Art Museum
- 2005 | 20th Asia International Art Exhibition, Ayala Museum, Philippines
- 2003 | 18th Asia International Art Exhibition, Hong Kong Heritage Museum, Hong Kong
- 1997 | International Sculpture Exhibition Quebec, Canada
- 1992 | Fresh Art Show, The Business Design Centre, London, UK
- 1990 | New Generation in Contemporary Singaporean Art’, Two Artists Show, The Japan Foundation ASEAN Culture Centre Tokyo, Hitachi, Japan
1987 | Salon Des Singaporains, Grand Palaris, Paris, France
- 1984 | National Day Art Exhibition, National Museum Art Gallery, Singapore
- 1995 | Young Artist Award, National Arts Council, Singapore
- 1994 | Area Prize and Judge Prize, The Third Tokyo Urbanart Competition 1994, Parco, Singapore, Tokyo, Japan
- 1994 | 2nd Prize, Contemporary Art Competition, (Sculpture), Phillippe Charriol Foundation, Singapore
- 1990 | Honorable Mention, Sentosa Sculpture Design Competition, Singapore
- 1989 | 2nd Prize I.B.M. Art Award Competition, National Museum Art Gallery, Singapore
- 1987 | Grand Prize Painting of the Year Competition , U.O.B. Bank, National Museum Art Gallery, Singapore
- 1985 | Merit Prize Australian Young Artist Awards Competition, National Museum Art Gallery, Singapore
- 1984 | 1st Prize Windsor and Newton Watercolour Competition, NAFA, Singapore
For full list of exhibitions and awards, please contact the gallery at firstname.lastname@example.org
Images of artworks